

5 girls in a German college town...
you do the math :)
I have to say I'm an even bigger fan of Germany than France. It's not that the French were all outwardly mean or anything, but there was a general coldness that just wasn't there in Germany. That and we had Emily the German speaking expert to help us out quite a bit.
We left (as usual) on Friday afternoon, and the train ride to Heidelberg was about 4-5 hours. The last leg was through wine country, right on the river, during sunset... It was just God and grapes. It's just one of those things that doesn't come out on camera (I feel like that happens a lot here... which is frustrating). Upon arrival we discovered a little piece of home on the walk to our hostel... aka WE FOUND A STARBUCKS!!! :) Needless to say it was a moral boost and saved us the next two mornings haha. Our hostel was pretty nice, except for the one bathroom/sink with a glass shower so you had to lock everybody out to shower haha. Our room had cute little windows, however we discovered that the view out of them was not so pleasant haha (see pic above). We all (Me, Emily, Katie, and two Gamma Phi Beta's who we traveled with last weekend named Sarah and Andrea) went out to dinner that night at a great German restaurant right by our hostel. That was really fun, and we got to know Sarah and Andrea a lot better.
Saturday we went to the castle in Heidelberg. I know i'll see a lot of castles and probably get really sick of them by the end of this European Vacation... but for now they're still AWESOME. This one was really old, but had a newer part built onto it (kind of a mix of the Middle Ages with Romantic architecture). We all, of course, took a million pictures *note the "christmas card" of me and emily haha*. They also had the biggest keg I have ever seen in my life. The tourist signs said "big vat," and knowing us we had to go find out what that meant haha. We walked into a tunnel and there on our right was "the big vat" so we took some silly pictures and kept walking... only to discover that there was a BIGGER vat (I'm gonna go with 4X the size... about 40 feet high?). So what we thought was the big vat was really like a Medieval "mini keg" :) haha.
After our castle adventure, we walked around town for a bit. Heidelberg (at least the area we were in) was basically one big 5th avenue with restaurants and shops. It was really cool and quaint. They had street performers and things, as well as plenty of souveneir shops. Then we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner because it was cheap and we were getting broke haha. We went to the bar next door and they played "Born in the U.S.A."- yes. We were obnoxious Americans. But we had to be. It was too perfect :) But it was great cause these guys came up and were like "Are you American?" and we said "of course!"... turns out they were all in the Navy and had just gotten back from Iraq the day before. So we had a great time drinking all night with the Navy boys (GET THIS: one of them went to Pioneer. I was shocked. I didn't believe him, but I tested him and said "I went to Huron... what's my mascot?"... to which he replied "River Rats." and then I believed him haha)
We left pretty early Sunday cause we thought the last train was at 1. We wanted to go to the zoo but we just didn't have time.
I think next weekend we're going to Salsbourg (even though it's a little far away, we all want to go really bad).

No comments:
Post a Comment